Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Catch up

WOW!!!  It has been A LONG time since I have written.  So many things have happened since September 2010 when I last wrote.  I will do a quick catch up in this post and then really get going from today.  In the past year and a half the kids have grown like weeds, we bought a boat, we sold our house and we bought a NEW house and land!! More about that later...back to the kids.


Isn't it SO CUTE!!!



So Lauren is now 10 and Austin is 4.

Lauren is finishing up her second year in the online charter school and Austin loves to work in workbooks and have his own school.  We have had two great years with Texas Virtual Academy but next year Lauren is going back to public school.  She will be in 5th grade and I think she is ready and I know she is VERY excited about starting in a new school.  Austin will hopefully start pre-k in the fall and is so happy to go to school like Lauren.  They are absolutely loving the new house.

About the new house..we first started this last summer.  We put our house on the market but in 6 weeks we only had 1 showing.  We were very discouraged so we took it off the market and decided we would stay a couple more years (HA!).  After much discussion we decided it really was the time to sell if we wanted to get out and still get close to what we wanted for our house.  So we once again got the house ready and put it back on the market the first of January.  We were expecting to hopefully get and offer and move around summer time.  Everyone told us to be patient and that it was really a hard time to sell.  Fortunately for us, by the beginning of February we had an offer.  They wanted us out by the 6th of March!  Talk about moving quickly.  Luckily, I had been looking at houses and we had one we really liked but it was a short sale.  The issue with that was with as quick as we had to be out of our house, buying a short sale can take months which could leave us without a house if they rejected our offer.  We accepted the offer on our old house and put in a bid on the new house.  This began the beginning of a LONG 6 weeks. We boxed everything up and put it in storage.   My parents were gracious enough to allow us to invade their house for the wait to see if we got the new house and then to go through the paperwork process.  There were many days when it looked like we were not going to get the house.  It was frustrating and exhausting but in the end it all worked out and now we have this beautiful new house on 10.5 acres!!! 

This is an arial view of our land


We moved in April 6 (Good Friday) and have now been here two months.  It is so nice and peaceful out here and we have so much we want to do.  In our first two months we have rented a tractor to mow and clear out some land, put up a windmill, built a chicken coop and started a flower garden. 

Austin liked riding the tractor

Every farm needs a windmill

My chicken coop!!  (Will write about this build later)



So, I hope you feel caught up as to what's been going on.  I am going to start writing about happenings around the farm and life in the country.  I will let you in on a tour of our new house, building the coop, starting the chickens and all the other adventures we have going.

It seems funny to me now...I named this blog Paper Cowgurl years ago when I was doing crafts with paper.  It now seems fitting to have this as my blog name seeing as I have always been a "Paper Cowgirl".  What I mean by this is I have ALWAYS wanted to live in the country and be a farm girl but have always lived in a neighborhood in a city.  I would wear my boots and when I was younger would go to Uncle Nelson's farm and help him and be a "Cowgirl" for a week or so but I would always go back home to the city.  Now here I am on 10.5 acres starting the real life of a farm girl.  Up until now I have only been a cowgirl in my dreams (a paper cowgirl).  We are starting out with chickens (21 to be exact) and eventually want goats, a pig and hopefully down the road maybe a couple of horses and cows.  So I hope you will join me on our new adventure of this "Paper Cowgurl" becoming a real true country cowgirl:)

Until next time...I have chickens to check on...

No comments: